You have probably heard or read about how meditation helps the mind relax, manages stress, and improves focus. But, where and how do you start? Congratulations, because opening this article is your first step to unlocking the benefits of meditation. Today, we will introduce you to the art of meditation and how you can get the most out of it.
Those who are just getting started with meditation always wonder how to sit in silence and do nothing? Most of us have programmed our minds constantly to do something not unless we are sleeping. This isn’t how our minds are supposed to work.
As a first-time meditator, the feeling will be a bit strange. And your mind may resist the urge of being at peace. But for a practice that has been around for centuries, if others can master it, so can you. As mentioned earlier, you are already aware of the many benefits of meditation. It trains you on self-awareness, thus giving you total control over your life.
A mind is a potent tool. If nurtured, it can significantly improve your experiences here on earth. Meditation doesn’t just offer us emotional balance, but it betters our overall wellbeing. A lot of people out there feel the urge to start meditating. But this urge won’t benefit you; it’s only through regular practice that you can achieve self-awareness.
So, without taking any more of your time. Let’s dive straight to the Introduction of Meditation.
How Do I Meditate? (A Beginner’s Guide)
Step 1: Find a comfortable meditation position. You can lie down or sit.
Step 2: Close your eyes.
Step 3: Breath normally.
Step 4: Begin focusing on your breath. Monitor how your body behaves when you exhale and inhale without opening your eyes. Try and control your mind from wandering.
As a beginner, meditate for a minute or two. The meditation period should be increased over time. The more you practice, the easier it will be to meditate for longer. And the more benefits you will get. Meditation is not rocket science. However, as simple as it may be, it requires a lot of patience and practice. So, be gentle with yourself, and if you can, invest in the right tools that will make this practice easier to engage in.
Tips on Meditating Effectively
Meditation isn’t as complicated as most people think. It’s similar to training, only that the organ being exercised here is the mind and not the body. For you to meditate successfully, you need to practice. When you first start practicing, it will be hard to sit for long hours without thinking of anything. But, when you learn how to focus only on your breath, you will meditate effectively. There are headbands and video guides that can help you meditate successfully. For a beginner, what matters most is finding your ground. And working your way from there.
Similar to training, there are different types of meditation. Each class is unique in its way, and you have to evaluate all kinds so that you can find the one that suits you best. Here is an overview of the different types of meditation.
The 9 Types of Meditation
- Mindfulness Meditation – This is the most popular type of meditation that will help unplug yourself from the world and focus on your thoughts. With its origin from Buddhist teachings, mindfulness meditation can be practiced alone because all that is needed is awareness and concentration. The objective of mindfulness meditation is to take note of your thought patterns.
- Spiritual Meditation – This type of meditation leans more towards Christianity, Daoism, Hinduism, and other religions. Unlike mindfulness, here you focus on the silence around you as you seek a deeper connection with God. Spiritual meditation often requires the use of essential oils such as sage and frankincense. You can practice this type at your place of worship or home.
- Focus Meditation – With this type, you have to focus on any of the five senses and prevent your mind from wandering. Examples of focus meditation include listening to a gong, focusing on your breath, and staring at a flame. If you are looking to improve your life, this is the best type of meditation for you.
- Movement Meditation – Though often associated with yoga, movement meditation can be practiced through gardening or strolling in the woods. This type of meditation is suitable for folk that find it easier to prevent their minds from wandering when doing a specific action.
- Visualization Meditation – It’s exactly what the name implies. This type of meditation allows you to achieve emotional healing and peace through visualizing optimistic scenarios.
- Loving-kindness Meditation – Though not as popular as the rest, this is one of the best meditation types. It entails the feeling and expression of compassion to yourself and loved ones.
- Progressive Relaxation – It’s popular mindfulness breathing exercise for anxiety and depression. This form of meditation involves the tightening and releasing of all muscles in the body, one at a time. It’s progressive in nature and a great way to ease tension.
- Mantra Meditation – If it’s hard for you to focus on your breath, then you should try focusing on a word. Mantra Meditation has become famous because of how easy it is to master. Meditators can use repetitive sounds such as ‘Om’ to experience more profound levels of self-awareness.
- Transcendental Meditation – This is a version of mantra meditation. The only difference is that the meditator uses a specific word or phrase related to their desired objectives.
How Often Should One Meditate?
To harvest the full benefits of meditation, it should be done daily. The length of daily meditation, however, varies with the purpose one intends to achieve. For example, to reduce stress, one should meditate for at least 40 minutes daily. If relaxation is the goal, meditation for 20 minutes per day is sufficient. Movement meditation or yoga should be practiced for more than 15 minutes.
Kindly note that meditation has no limit. It’s similar to fitness workouts. Some can endure an hour of intense training, whereas others can only go for half an hour. Find what works for you if you feel relaxed after meditating for 30 minutes. Next time challenge yourself and try what will happen for an hour.
Never say that you don’t have time to meditate. If you can find time to browse through social media, you can make time for meditation.
Is Meditation Beneficial?
Asking if meditation is beneficial is like inquiring what the advantages of eating a balanced and healthy diet are. A lot of us put a lot of focus on our body shape and health. Thus ignoring the mind. From the minute you wake till you fall asleep, your mind is always working. Through meditation, your mind gets an opportunity to relax and unwind from work issues, relationship problems, and anything else that you are always thinking about.
Here are some of the long terms and short term benefits of meditation;
- Ultimate relaxation
- Better stress management capabilities
- A true feeling of wellbeing
- fewer feelings of anxiety and depression
- Improved blood circulation
- Blood pressure management
Research is still underway on whether meditation boosts immunity. However, what we know at the moment is that meditation promotes emotional healing and self-awareness. With meditation, you learn to live in the present and enjoy calmness.
Are There Props that Can Assist with Meditation?
Not unless you are a Buddhist Monk from the 16th century; sitting for 40+ minutes isn’t going to be easy. More so, if you are focusing on your breathing or your thoughts. Fortunately, we live in a modern world where anything can be made accessible. Here are some props that will ensure you experience comfortable meditation sessions.
- Meditation Chairs – This is the Holy Grail for both beginner and experienced meditators. A meditation chair relieves tension build-up that occurs when one is seated. Most chairs also offer back support, thus improving comfort. If you want one where you can cross your legs, there are so many options out there.
What Factors Should I Consider When Choosing a Meditation Prop?
The first factor to consider is determining which prop you are going to use. If it’s a chair, then consider the amount of cushioning and back support. A well-cushioned chair will be gentle on your hips and adequate back support will guarantee proper spine alignment even if you meditate for an hour.
Regarding meditation pillows, cushioning and height are the main factors to be considered. The best meditation cushion should be of adequate height, thus allowing you to rest your legs comfortably.
Bolsters are often an excellent alternative for those who prefer a softer feel. So, consider the material used inside the bolsters when choosing one.
Must I Be a Buddhist to Meditate?
Just because meditation originates from the Buddhist culture doesn’t mean that it’s only confined to those who practice this religion. Meditation was created for everyone, no matter their religious beliefs or practices. Even if you are a non-religious person, you can still meditate. This art is free of any religion. Chanting mantras doesn’t connect you to a particular religion; instead, it helps you focus on your mind.
Except for spiritual meditation, the other types focus on your senses and emotions. For example, the most common type of meditation involves breathing techniques that make you more aware of yourself. So, if you thought that meditation will convert you into a Buddha, you have got nothing to worry about.
Closing Your Meditation
When you are ready to come out of meditation, you don’t just open your eyes and get up. It’s a process that has to occur gradually. Slow down the mantra and notice how your body switches from a meditative state into a normal one. Bow your head in gratitude as you observe the physical and emotional changes happening. Open your eyes, and you will feel refreshed.
With meditation, practice makes perfect. Always make time to meditate every day. If you are too busy, meditate at least thrice a week. The more you meditate, the more benefits you experience. If you are struggling with meditation, you should find a teacher or partner that has mastered this art. He/she will guide you, and after a couple of weeks, you will be ready to meditate by yourself.
Are you a technology junky whose mind is always racing from one activity to the next? Do you crave stillness or spiritual enlightenment? Then meditation can offer you this and much more. It has worked for millions of people, and you too can enjoy the same benefits. With so many different types of meditation out there, you can be assured of finding one that brings you peace and happiness. As you begin your meditation journey, do it willingly. And don’t force meditation because it won’t work. Practice regularly and be gentle with your body and mind. With no time, you will achieve emotional balance and unplug yourself from any stressful situation.
Top Products that Work Alongside Meditation to Improve Your Wellbeing
As powerful as meditation is, its effects are significantly enhanced when combined with some natural ingredients. Meditation takes care of the mind, and these ingredients take care of the body. When combined, meditators get to enjoy happy, stress-free, and healthy lives. Zion Health and Beauty Products can be used to enhance your mediation experience. All Zion Health products are vegan, organic, contain no parabens, are made with all-natural ingredients and are cruelty-free.
It is impossible to achieve emotional healing if the body is ailing. It’s unfortunate how rare pure oxygen is in today’s environment. Industries and machines have polluted the air, water, and even food. All these toxins find their way into our bodies in one way or another. And that’s why we recommend chamomile tea. As you meditate to remove negative thoughts in your mind, chamomile tea detoxifies your body eliminating impurities.
Why Should You Consider the Chamomile Tea Healing Detox?
- This product will remove all toxins from your body.
- It offers calming effects.
- Your immunity will be stronger.
- Restores stomach pH levels.
- It energizes the body.
How Does It Work?
Chamomile herbs, as they flow through the digestive system, bind and absorb toxins. These toxins are later on flushed and removed from the body in the form of stool. Chamomile tea also regulates pH levels in the stomach, thus offering relief from ulcers. This natural ingredient is famous for its calming effects, which are ideal for meditation.
This particular product is similar to the above because it also removes toxins from the body. The minerals found in Kanwa clay are responsible for this. The Kanwa Minerals Detox tea has a pleasant and calming natural mint flavor that many meditators will appreciate. Other benefits of the Kanwa Minerals Detox Tea include weight loss, treating bad breath, and aiding digestion.
Why Should I Use this Tea?
- Before meditating, this tea will help calm your nerves.
- The minerals in Kanwa clay energize the body ensuring uninterrupted meditation sessions.
- Toxin removal.
- Boosted immunity.
- Treatment for bad breath.
- Assistance in digestion and weight loss.
This is a combination of energy detox tablets and powder that will come in very handy during meditation. This combo works to flush out toxins from the body while boosting immunity. It also contains Kanwa removes toxins, bacteria, and pathogens from the body. This combo is popular for cleansing the colon as well as relieving stomach discomfort.
How Does It Work?
Kanwa is a unique detox remedy. Not only is it very effective, but it’s pretty gentle on the digestive system. Using Kanwa to flush out toxins from the body has minimal side effects, and being a natural ingredient, you will be introducing essential nutrients to your body. Kanwa contains minerals such as silica, magnesium, iron, calcium, and manganese.
Advantages of Using Home and Away Natural Detox Combo
- Your body is energized thus able to handle hours of uninterrupted meditation.
- Balances body pH levels.
- Cleanses the colon.
- Strengthens immunity.
- Removes toxins from the body.
The final product that you should be used for meditation is these ancient clay hydrating bath bombs. With this, you are assured of both emotional and physical healing. Infused with rose and bergamot oil, these bath bombs have a therapeutic scent.
The minerals found in these products will soothe pain or inflammation, remove toxins and replenish nutrients in your body. The blissful aroma is known to improve mood and help with visualization during meditation. The antioxidants found in this product contribute to improving skin texture and strength.
Key ingredients found in the ancient clay hydrating bath bombs include Canola oil, baking soda, Kanwa (ionic clay minerals), rose flower, and bergamot oil.
Stay Up to Date with The Latest in News Your Body and Skin Can Use.
Check out some of our other blog posts for helpful information regarding the maintenance of a healthy lifestyle, mind, and body on the outside and the inside.
The birds are signing, the smell of fresh flowers and cut grass and the constant sunshine can’t help but make you want to smile and relax. But with the joys of spring comes the everyday stresses of our life. Vitamin B not only has excellent benefits for our skin, and physical health, but our mental health and wellbeing as well. Read our blog “Everything You Need to Know About Vitamin B,” to learn more.